SkyCandy - Sunset Forecast App

SkyCandy - Sunset Forecast App

By Dunbar Technology, LLC

  • Category: Weather
  • Release Date: 2017-08-21
  • Current Version: 1.11.1
  • Adult Rating: 4+
  • File Size: 110.79 MB
  • Developer: Dunbar Technology, LLC
  • Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
Score: 4
4
From 68 Ratings

Description

SkyCandy is a revolutionary sunrise and sunset forecast app that uses live weather data at your location (and other locations!) to predict the quality of your local sunrise and sunsets to help you find beautiful, vivid, colorful skies at that magical time. Great for photographers, or anyone at all that wants to skip boring sunsets and see only the beautiful ones. Great for photographers, or anyone at all that wants to skip boring sunsets and see only the beautiful ones. This is also called a sunset quality predictor. Also included is many more powerful sunrise and sunset tools. Key Features: ► Quality Predictions SkyCandy uses historic, current, and future weather data to determine if your next Sunrise or Sunset will be colorful and vivid. Please keep in mind that odds are odds, so even if SkyCandy says there's an 80% chance the sunset will be beautiful, mother nature could still roll the dice and get the other 20%! ► Sun Direction Tool Using our Sun Direction Tool, drop a pin anywhere on the map to know exactly which direction the Sun will be at any time, any date, and any location. Great for photographers that are scouting a photo shoot location and want to know what direction the Sun will be in when they are taking photos. ► Multiple Locations With the premium subscription, SkyCandy can be setup to check the Sunrise and Sunset quality at multiple locations you save to a list, as well as multiple dates and events! ► Today Widget Enable a today widget that shows your quality score, time of sunset, and live countdown timer until sunset. ► Alerts & Notifications Configure automatic alerts and notifications for when the Sunrise and Sunset is going to be high quality at your location. ► Sunrise Times and Sunset Times Get times for Sunrise, Sunset, Golden Hour, Blue Hour, and more! ► More than 50 tips, tricks, and facts SkyCandy comes with more than 50 tips, tricks, and facts that will help you take your Sunset photography to the next level. Tips are displayed automatically in-app but can be disabled in app settings. ► Sunrise and Sunset Countdown Timers Know exactly how much time is left until your next Sunrise or Sunset occurs. ► In-app Support System Having issues using the app, or can't seem to find something? Just check out the in-app FAQ and knowledge base, or contact us in-app for tech support. ► And Many More Tools! Many more useful weather, Sunrise, and Sunset tools are also included. Some of the tools and features listed above require a premium subscription. Premium subscription is $2.99 monthly or $29.99 annually ($5+ savings for annual) and can be purchased in-app. That's less than the price of one cheeseburger every month! And unlike the cheeseburger, this is healthy for you and useful! Each subscription help us to continue app development and make the app even better. The premium subscription includes a free 7 day trial, and is billed on a monthly or annual basis unless you cancel the subscription. Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase. Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of your current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period. If you do not wish to continue your subscription after the free 7 day trial period, it is your responsibility to cancel your subscription before the billing cycle begins. Subscriptions may be managed by you in your iTunes account and auto-renewal may be turned off by going into your Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription. Terms of Use: http://www.photographersarsenal.com/mobile-app-terms-of-use/ Got an idea to make the app even better, or is the app missing a tool that you would like to see implemented? No problem, just contact us using the in-app support and we can add it! APIs used: Dark Sky Sunburst by SunsetWx

Screenshots

Reviews

  • Incredibly inaccurate

    1
    By IAFSFW123
    Predictions are very inaccurate. There are days I’ve missed beautiful sunsets because this app predicted a lousy sunset. Got up early this morning to do a sunrise photo shoot, since Sky Candy’s prediction seemed pretty positive. Nope. The cloud cover is so high that the light is struggling to get through. No color whatsoever. I check Sky Candy fairly regularly and they always seem to be off...this is not a once in a while thing.
  • A must have for any outdoor photographer

    5
    By SyrComPhoto
    When you first open the app, you are greeted with a friendly guide that explains the core features of SkyCandy. Nice touch! From there, it's easy to make your first sunset quality prediction with an easy to find button on the main screen. The app will use weather data at your location to determine if your next even (sunrise or sunset depending on what time it is) will be beautiful or ugly. This is not foolproof - sometimes it's wrong, but most of the time it's right. It really depends on the weather! They look for certain things in the weather forecast that are good indicators of a beautiful sky at sunset time. So while it's not always accurate, it's better than stepping outside in the morning and taking a random guess. The premium subscription unlocks a lot of additional features, such as the ability to see the sunrise and sunset forecast for up to 5 days into the future, and for multiple locations. Also included is a handy widget, and more. The developer is very active and very helpful. I've had some issues with bugs and crashes, and contacted him using the in-app support. It's always been taken care of fairly quickly and issued an app update or helped me out with any problems. He's a photographer himself that is just trying to help other photographers out there achieve better photos with this innovative idea. If you go on the developer's website, you see that he also gives back to charity a portion of all subscriptions to help make the Earth a better place. Very thoughtful. Overall, this has been an incredibly useful app for me and has vastly improved my landscape photography. No longer do I have to drive around aimlessly for hours while hoping for a good sunset. Now I can know ahead of time if the sky is going to be beautiful at sunset time, and then I can head out to my best spots to take beautiful sunset photos I can fill my instagram feed up with! I highly recommend this app to all outdoor photographers, or anyone at all that frequently watches beautiful sunsets.
  • Can’t add multiple locations with premium

    1
    By kaylabeth92
    I upgraded to premium, how do I add multiple locations? I live about an hour from the beach so would like to be able to search it before driving there. I am able to edit my location, but when I click “add new” the map opens, and when I type in the beach I am looking for, there is no way to select that location. Anyone know what I’m doing wrong??
  • Buggy

    2
    By Ctsr1
    Crashes like a madman. Often has to be manually restarted when it doesn’t.
  • Great app!

    2
    By LAPhotog1911
    Very accurate. Essential for outdoor photography. I can’t live without it for my landscape photography business
  • This App is Crap!

    1
    By Scottdt21
    Total waste of money. Have had the thing for months and not yet has it predicted correctly. Tonight, with a 20% Poor rating for a nice sunset, I wasn’t even bothering to look. All of a sudden my wife calls me to come see the beautiful sky.....a gorgeous sunset!! Almost missed due to this miserable program. Total waste of money and a consumer rip off!!!!!!
  • Disappointing

    2
    By michgirl51
    Half the time this app would only show predictions for the wrong time of day—sunrise even hours before sunset. This happened multiple times even after an update. I finally deleted the app since it wasn’t doing the job
  • Kind of alright

    3
    By btmcbrayer
    It’s generally accurate, but my big issue with the app is the fact that it often shows the sunrise when it’s mid day, and won’t give a prediction for the sunset. I’ve tried reinstalling the app and using another phone, but it auto loads the sunrise at mid day 50% of the time. I suspect it’s to push their premium subscription. Maybe it’s just a bug though. The first would be a shame. Edit for developer response: I’m on an iPhone 6 using the 12/hr time format. This sunset/sunrise mid day issue is still a thing so I thank you for looking into it!
  • Excellent app,

    5
    By CaronAmy67
    Works great, very accurate. Helps me find beautiful sunsets for my photography.
  • Need a longer trial period

    1
    By ClairaMarie
    I have the trial version. You can only see as far as the very next sunrise or sunset so there really is no way to get a fair test of the apps ability to forecast any further out than a few hours. I cannot evaluate whether or not it's worth buying with such a small preview window. Why not allow one week with full features? If I'm going to commit to a monthly subscription, I want to know before I buy. Thanks.

Comments

keyboard_arrow_up